Valentine’s Day: Is it okay for couples to skip it?

I have a little secret: We don’t really do Valentine’s Day here anymore.

Sure, there was a time in our relationship when there were flowers and jewelry and heads together whispering over some candlelit fondue. However, after 15 years of being together, we’re beyond that stage. I mean, some years we don’t even do cards. If–big if–we do anything this year, it will be going out to dinner…with our toddler. (And if you’ve ever had dinner with a toddler, you know how romantic that can be…)

And, all of that is really okay with me.

However, as I watched a jewelry commercial this morning I thought, “Is it wrong that not doing anything for Valentine’s Day isn’t a big deal?”

Is it wrong that I don’t care about the romance or the big day or the dinner?

Is it awful that we don’t exchange gifts to “celebrate” our love?

I don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong–I love flowers, but I would rather have them on a just because basis and not because a certain holiday says that I should get them. (What fun is that?)

Maybe I’m tired, or maybe I’m complacent. Or, maybe…jut maybe…I’m comfortable with this person that I’ve been through thick and thin with for 15 years.

When did comfortable become such a bad thing anyway?

[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://www.40momsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/NewProfilePicBW2Smaller.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]About the Author

Jacqueline Wilson is a wife and mother. She is a published author and freelance writer who might even go to dinner with her husband on Valentine’s Day…at a restaurant that doesn’t involve children’s toys wrapped in plastic bags. You can read more of her here, on 40 Moms Club, or find her daily parenting humor on her personal blog, WritRams.com: Writer Ramblings on Parenting Imperfectly. [/author_info]

[/author]

Image Credit: http://claranatoli.blogspot.com/

1. 40MomsClub

February 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm

RT @WritRams: Am I bad #wife? >Valentine’s Day: Is it okay for couples to skip it? http://www.40momsclub.com/2011/02/10/val… #40MC #marriage #love

• tessasdad

February 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm

IMO, yes. We do. RT @40momsclub @WritRams: Am I bad #wife? >Valentine’s Day: Is it okay for couples to skip it? http://www.40momsclub.com/2011/02/10/val… #40MC

• WritRams

February 12, 2011 at 3:58 pm

@tessasdad I’m a bad wife or it’s okay to skip Valentine’s Day? LOL

• tessasdad

February 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm

@writrams Oh gosh. Sorry. It’s okay to skip it. My wife and I skip it.

• WritRams

February 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm

@tessasdad LOL. You made me laugh.

• tessasdad

February 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm

@writrams We don’t celebrate fake holidays. We’ll do something w/ Tessa but for us every day is already full of romance and….pffftt… :)

• WritRams

February 12, 2011 at 4:12 pm

@tessasdad HAHAHA! You have a toddler. I know better.

2. rockle

February 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

i really like valentine’s day, and i really try to make it special even after all this time (17+ years together and counting), but this year it’s going to STINK OUT LOUD. he has to work over night so i’ll be home alone with the kid. we tried to make alternative plans but there is LITERALLY NOTHING that we want to see at the movies. and i feel bad asking for a valentine’s day gift. so we’re doing nothing this year — although i will probably do something little for my daughter.

3. Cathy

February 11, 2011 at 8:34 am

I see nothing wrong with this and to a certain extent I feel the same way. I would much rather my husband surprise me randomly with a card or a single flower instead of feeling some sort of pressure on a *holiday* that just makes florists really busy and richer as well as the greeting card companies. ;)

4. 40MomsClub

February 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Valentine’s Day: Is it okay for couples to skip it? http://www.40momsclub.com/2011/02/10/val… #valentines #couples #love #dates