Mom attempts to sell boys’ Beyblades on eBay for punishment

I have to admit, when I heard the lead-in to this story on the news I laughed…mainly because I thought they reported “Mom tries to sell boys on eBay” and after a particularly interesting evening with my three year old, I totally got it.

However (and in all seriousness), the mom was really selling some popular toys–called Beyblades–out of her sons’ stash as punishment for messing up her bathtub.

According to a MSNBC report, “one mom, fed up with her boys’ fancy spinning tops and how they wrecked her bathtub, decided to gather the offending tops…and put them on eBay.” (Please note that heart-wrenching picture of the boys posted on eBay.)

Beyblades, the toys in question, are souped-up spinning tops that allow kids to battle each other. Apparently, the boys had battled each other in the bathtub and–according to the mom–caused $500 worth of damage.

The eBay auction was later shut down as bidders–who were trying to punish the mom–ran up the bids to $999,999. They also blasted her for being a bad mom.

Who got what they deserved here? Sound off in the comments.

Image Credit: BEGUM9

1. Stacy

February 21, 2011 at 9:37 am

Fine, punish your children for something you have repeatedly told them not to do. Publicly humilate them on ebay with a picture? Grow up.

2. Diana

February 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm

The problem is not that she wanted to sell the toys to pay for the damage. That is actually a good idea. The problem is with posting a picture of the kids and then including her own rant about the situation. Punishment through public humiliation is in NO WAY appropriate for a child of any age.

3. 40MomsClub

February 20, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Mom attempts to sell boys’ Beyblades on eBay http://www.40momsclub.com/2011/02/20/mom… #news #moms #toys #beyblades

4. christin

February 20, 2011 at 10:28 am

I just clicked on the link you provided and was completely annoyed by the following quote in the article:

“So, rather than rewarding her boys for their ambition in creating a larger arena, she is not only taking money out of their piggy banks but also airing out some family disciplining issues on eBay and the Internet.”

Obviously that blog-writer either does not have children, or she has them and allows them to wreak havoc in her home choosing to “reward” her children for making bad decisions.

Okay, I will end my rant now.

5. christin

February 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

I agree with Indycat. AND…I think that more people should hold their children accountable for their actions. Selling off a toy that caused monetary damage does not make her a bad mom! People are ridiculous.

6. Indycat

February 20, 2011 at 10:04 am

It is not fair to label her a “bad mom”. For all we know she had told her kids 15 times NOT to play with them in the bathtub. It is incredible to me how people pass immediate judgement when it is not possible to know the ‘whole’ story of anyone’s circumstance. Glass houses people. Glass houses.