Eating for Your Sanity’s Sake
As moms, we tend to run around and worry about everyone else. You made sure that Susie has her snack for school, you made the cupcakes (or bought!) for Johnny’s class, and then you chopped up an apple for your preschooler. What did you eat? The cupcake frosting? Or did you gnaw on the apple core, or better yet, eat the peelings from the apple?
It really IS amazing that most of us have weight issues, if you consider the amount of food we take in on most days. It is probably because we offset it with the fast food hamburger dinner or the pint of Ben and Jerry’s after the kids have gone to bed. Not that I have ever done that. I don’t like Ben and Jerry’s. I prefer Haagan Daas. Swiss Vanilla Almond.
We have to face the fact that we aren’t spring chickens anymore. (I’m not, anyway!) If we want to keep up with our kids, our to-do list and life in general, we have to FUEL our bodies properly. And, I am sorry to say that Ben & Jerry’s ice cream doesn’t fit the bill.
To have more energy, here are three categories of food you want to focus your on for your diet:
1. Lean protein–lean chicken, pork, beef, low-fat string cheese, low-fat yogurt
2. Smart carbohydrates, otherwise known as whole grains–whole grain crackers, brown rice, popcorn, whole grain pasta & breads
3. Good fats–MUFAS–monounsaturated fatty acids–almonds, avocado, walnuts, olives and olive oil, even dark chocolate!
These should be a foundation for your *balanced* diet.
Then, add several fruits and unlimited vegetables to get the additional minerals and vitamins you need.
If you base your eating on these things, you will feel much better and be more prepared physically and mentally to face the day…and your kids!
A few of my favorite things to munch on:
- raw almonds
- lite string cheese sticks
- sliced apples with peanut butter
- Quaker Oat Squares (eaten dry, yummy!)
- salad with a sprinkling of nuts and cheese
- fast food options–McDonald’s Grilled Chicken Wrap, Arby’s Jr Roast beef sandwich, Wendy’s Chili
- gas station options–Special K protein bars taste pretty good, cheese sticks, fruit, wheat thins, small bag honey roasted peanuts
Would you like more guidance on how you take better care of yourself? I wrote an e-book called Find Your Balance, which will walk you through the areas of your life and help you find balance. Visit Living the Balanced Life for more details!
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://www.40momsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/BerniceWood.jpg
[author_info]About the Author