Midlife Break Up: It’s me, not you

Have you noticed lately how blah everything seems? No one is living up to their potential, food tastes bland and there is absolutely nothing of interest on television or at the movies. Manufacturers aren’t making clothes that are cool anymore–not that it matters because the employees in the store just don’t care anyway. They’re rude and ungrateful.

I noticed the demise of…the entire world…a few months ago. It was no longer fun. It wasn’t interesting…or inviting…or interactive…or engaging. What happened? Why doesn’t anyone care any longer?

And then I realized something–it wasn’t the entire world, it was just me.

Gasp.

For a few months now, I’ve been in this..abyss. Call it a midlife crisis (although I haven’t wanted to buy a convertible–again–so, I’m unchecking that option) or depression, but it is something. Sure, there are major, life-changing things going on around me. However, this attitude needs to stop. So, I’m here today to break up…with myself.

Dear Self:

I no longer want to see you. Please don’t take it personally because it’s completely me and not you.

I haven’t been happy for a while now. The constant exhaustion and depression and bad attitude isn’t working for either of us. In fact, it’s holding us both back. So, I just wanted to tell you today that you’re free. We both are, actually. It’s time to turn the page and move on.

And maybe, just maybe, we’ll have fun again. Soon.

Love,

Me

I just hope I listen and don’t slide back into one of those enabling-abusive-stay-because-it’s-what-you-know relationships that all your friends and family members whisper about behind your back.

Shudder.

Remind me again why I sold my convertible?

[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://primeparentsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/WritRamsSockMonkeyHat.jpg

[/author_image] [author_info]About the Author

Jacqueline Wilson is a wife, mother, published author and freelance writer who doesn’t think she’s going through a mid-life crisis, but admits she’s in some kind of funk. She’s only slightly crazier than she appears in this post. She writes here, on Prime Parents’ Club, and on her parenting humor blog, WritRams.com: Writer Ramblings on Parenting Imperfectly. Follow her on Twitter as @WritRams or on Facebook.[/author_info]

[/author]

1. JMJast

April 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’ve been feeling in a similar way for a few months now, too and unfortunately have been trying to cope abusing cake and chocolate (ouch!). I like your approach, Jacqueline. I’ll break up with the whinging, unhappy me right now!
    Thanks for this post. I’m off to share it :)

2. Cate

April 14, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Clearly what is needed here is space. Get away from yourself for a bit. Yes – you have read between the lines – you should come to Nebraska for a visit.
    I will shower you with compliments and we can do our own wine tasting event. My dogs will jump on you and my youngest will show you his farting & burping at the same time trick.
    By the time we’re done with you you will feel like a new woman. A woman who wants to go home – but a new one nonetheless.
    Smoochees,
    Cate

3. Slush (Landra Graf)

April 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Your post sounds familiar. Ah, yes! This was me a couple of months ago. Everything seemed such a blur and I didn’t like anything I saw or did. My attitude was extremely poor and then I realized I didn’t know myself anymore. It wasn’t a mid-life crisis, couldn’t be because I haven’t reached mid-life. It was a cry out, plea for help to get back to being me. So I started reading again, pulled out the ol’ violin and strung a few songs.

I feel better and even more so that I am connecting with great author’s, friends, and good people on Twitter too! I reclaiming myself, getting away from the dreary, negative world that seems to always be there. Now I am in search of the good part of the world that makes me happy.

Good luck for you! If anything the next few days should feel really good with you being seperated from me.

4. Erica

April 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Ice Cream, Fudge Stripe cookies, it all works.:) What works even better is talking to friends and eating those yummy treats together!!! You’re not alone in feeling any of that. And really, it isn’t YOU in my opinion. The world HAS changed. I think so anyway. It’s all reality shows, not so much the good ole simple comedy shows, the news is getting scarier and scarier, people are more selfish and ignorant, the list goes on!!! Find solice that you are not alone and that other people just present things to be okay. We are all a little messed up!!!!! It’s the cool ones who can admit it :)

5. Anja

April 12, 2011 at 1:37 am

Good for you! Try to stay away from drunk calls at two in the morning! Call ME if you need to! ((HUGS)) And yes, ice cream does help!

• Prime Parents' Club

April 12, 2011 at 9:24 am

That’s sound advice. Drunk dialing NEVER turns out to be a good idea…