Prime Parents Club            Did we mention that it's FREE?

Michigan Toddler Served Margarita

At a local Detroit suburb Applebee’s restaurant this week, a mother and a toddler got quite a surprise. 

After ordering a juice to go with her 15 month old son’s kids’ meal, mom Taylor Dill-Reese noticed that her son was acting unusual–sleepy and then waking up to wave to and talk with everyone and just “acting out.” 

The mother opened the child’s cup and tasted the drink–finding a margarita. Apparently, the child was accidentally fed a margarita instead of the apple juice that was ordered.

She took the child to the hospital and found the child’s blood alcohol level to be .10–over the legal limit for an adult driver.

The child is reported to be fine and Applebee’s states they are currently investigating.

However, this isn’t the first occurrence for the restaurant chain. MSNBC reported a similar story in June 2007 in a San Francisco Bay area Applebee’s where “the apple juice and margarita mix were stored in identical plastic bottles, and the manager mistakenly grabbed the margarita container to pour the boy’s drink.” 

That child was also taken to the hospital and released. The San Francisco Bay area Applebee’s offered to cover all medical expenses and give free food to the family. The mother stated there was no way she was going back.

Do you ever check the drinks that come with the meals for your kids? Would you ever eat at that restaurant again?

Image: Matthew Hull

Along with being a contributor to PrimeParentsClub.com, Jacqueline Wilson is: Appalachia Advocate~Supporter of Women~Writer~Accidental Pit Bull Advocate. Founder and executive director of Monkey Do Project and co-author of 50 Shades of Frayed: What Happens When 'I Do' Becomes 'Not Tonight': A Humorous Mompilation.

4 Comments

  1. Prime Parents' Club

    April 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm

    I NEVER check the restaurant drink cup…and that’s the first thing I said to my husband (in horror) when I heard this story!

  2. Christin

    April 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

    Wow! That is scary, that child could have died from alcohol poisoning.

  3. Living the Balanced Life

    April 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm

    Wow, this is insane! I have never heard of this before! Applebee’s got some ‘splainin’ to do!
    Bernice