Tie Dyed Easter Eggs Not Safe for Eating

Last year, a new craft trend started popping up around the Internet and on mommy blogs–silk tie dyeing Easter eggs.

The technique involves placing an egg inside the material of an old silk tie and then boiling the egg and the material. Patterns and colors from the tie are transferred onto the egg during the boiling process. The results are stunning, but left many parents wondering, “Is this safe?”

It’s a really cool and unusual way to decorate Easter eggs. I’ve never seen results like that from egg decorating, but the house was full of such a strong chemical smell that we had to open our kitchen windows. We never ate the eggs because my gut instinct was just telling me not to. We thew away about two dozen eggs.

On my WritRams.com site, I decided to do the leg work after performing the technique at my egg decorating party with friends and family last year.

I wanted some answers on safety before trying the technique again. I sent inquires to both chemical dye companies and to the United States Food and Drug Administration. It was met with the same response from both sides:  Don’t eat the eggs.

The chemical dye companies and the FDA said there are distinct differences between food dyes and garment dyes and cannot recommend eating anything that came into contact with garment dyes. Many sites actually recommended discarding kitchen utensils that come into contact with the chemical garment dyes.

Yikes.

So it’s a cool technique, but if you try it be aware of the potential issues.

I’m not sure we will be trying it again because, honestly, that’s just too much waste for me.

To see more info, check out Handy Tips on WritRams.com

1. Kly

April 7, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Why, no, I do not plan to throw out the pot I boiled the eggs in. That’s ridiculous. It is, after all, possible to WASH the pot. If you’re feeling totally paranoid you can wash it twice.

I suppose it would be better not to eat the eggs though. A pity. That’s a dozen wasted eggs. I feel sorry for the chickens; and the more so since they aren’t free range eggs, so the chickens will have been drugged into insensibility and had their beaks cut off so they can’t peck when their eggs are stolen. Which is why I don’t usually buy non-free-range eggs; but once a year, to get white eggs, I do. Well, I’m not going to buy another dozen non-free-range eggs and torture even more chickens just to have edible Easter eggs, so I guess we’re having an egg-free Easter…

• Jacqueline Wilson

April 15, 2014 at 11:16 am

Well, at least you have a plan mapped out.

2. Diane

April 23, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Had the ties, checked the web, so excited to tie-dye the eggs this way. However, not safe to eat, discard the pot you boiled them in and any dishes or silverware that comes in touch with the dye? Sorry, but adding up the cost of all the waste involved ……. nah, sorta took the FUN right out of it. Now where did I put that (safe to eat ans use) glittter easter egg kit I bought last year?

3. Auntie Patty

April 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I wonder if they dye penetrates the shell. After all, we don’t plan on eating the shell (at least not in my family). Next question, though, is can you use the silk dyed egg shells for composting?

I suspect the strange smell is not the dye but the smell of silk boiling in water and in vinegar. Just ironing silk can have a nauseating cod liver oil odor, so I think maybe the experts are answering to save their reputation, but have not really studied the subject with any seriousness.

It is kind of like asking a math expert if it would be safe to play baseball and they answer that some balls can break windows when thrown, so it is best not to play with them at all.

4. Elizabeth

April 15, 2011 at 10:14 am

I wonder if it would work on blown eggs? Ya know where you poke a tiny pin hole in one end and a slightly larger hole in the other end, then break the yolk with the pin and blown the egg guts out? Then you could do this without wasting the egg innards. I love the idea of making such pretty eggs!

• Prime Parents' Club

April 15, 2011 at 11:56 am

I would love for someone to try this and let us know. Someone brought it up over on the WritRams site, too. I think the “blown-out” eggs would be too fragile to boil? You have to wrap the shells in a couple of layers of fabric and then boil them for a long time. I’m not sure they would make it, but I’m interested to hear if someone tries it.

5. Noel

April 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Ooh … how did I miss this one! I love reduce, reuse, recycle crafts … do you think my dh would notice a missing silk tie or two?

• Prime Parents' Club

April 15, 2011 at 11:54 am

We went to the thrift shops and bought them for around $1 each. ;)