Abstinence Panties: What My Mom Would Do

In a new twist on targeting teens, the company “What would your mother do?” is selling “conversational” underwear aimed at teenage girls. Specifically, they are marketing a line of “abstinence underwear” with phrases like “Dream On”, “Not Tonight”, “Zip It” and “What would your mother do?” printed on tees and on undies.

From the “What would your mother do?” website:

Having high schoolers of our own, we realize that at one point or another, teenagers are going to want to date.  Yep.  That means nothing short of orchestrated torture for parents.  Well, we’re gluttons for challenges, right?  We’ve decided there’s no reason to get uptight about it, after all, finding a romantic partner is a normal and healthy part of adolescent life.  But, why not help our teens make wise choices while they navigate the dating scene?  We created a line of underwear to use as conversation starters to help reinforce family morals as they relate to relationships and dating.  One part Victorian (who are we kidding?), three parts frisky, these adorable undies put new meaning to saying it loud and proud.

Call me old-fashioned, but printing “Not Tonight” and “Dream On” seems like a novelty inviting teen girls to show them off, not a reminder to keep them on–which leaves me feeling…itchy with uncomfortableness. (Plus, do we really need our 13-year-old daughters walking around in “Not Tonight” panties?)

This doesn’t feel like promoting abstinence and helping “our teens make wise choices while navigating the dating scene.” This feels like capitalism at the expense of our young daughters disguised as something it’s not. Whatever happened to flowers or cute character undies, anyway?

So, what would my mom do (back in the day)? She would burn these “abstinence” undies…and then she would ground me.

What do you say, moms and dads? Would you buy these for your teen girls?

[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://primeparentsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/WritRamsSockMonkeyHat.jpg

[/author_image] [author_info]About the Author

Jacqueline Wilson is a wife, mother, published author and freelance writer who doesn’t think of herself as prudish, but what does she know? She thinks Sock Monkeys are sexy. She writes here, on Prime Parents’ Club, and on her parenting humor blog, WritRams.com: Writer Ramblings on Parenting Imperfectly. Follow her on Twitter as @WritRams or on Facebook.[/author_info]

[/author]

1. the genie bra

September 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm

ROFL

2. TVTalkTina

April 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Steve and I just had a conversation about this…we both agree, NO WAY!

3. Jen

April 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

I can’t stop feeling totally horrified: not by the lack of decency in scrawling Not Tonight on panties. If a boy is seeing her panties, it’s kinda late for a modesty talk, no? What troubles me is the brainlessness of this idea; where on earth has our ability to reason gone? Someone thinks this is a good idea? My mother would say keep your pants on until you know what you’re doing.

4. Margaret

April 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm

OK, my mom’s dead, but I can actually hear her saying, “Who the HELL thought THAT was a good idea? This is a joke, right?”

And seriously, a conversation starter? “Gee hon, I didn’t know how to start a conversation about sex, so here’s some panties–I’ll let them do the talking for me!” Yeah, like that just makes it so much more natural.

5. Prime Parents' Club

April 20, 2011 at 9:57 am

I think they missed their target audience here. Clearly they should be marketed to moms of toddlers.

(KIDDING everyone. Move along. Nothing to see here.)

• Margaret

April 20, 2011 at 2:04 pm

heh heh heh

• Josh

April 29, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Well, the younger you get them, the more they will believe anything said.

6. rockle

April 20, 2011 at 9:43 am

my mother is 58 years old and wears those sweatpants with “pink” emblazoned across her backside, PLUS she has a tattoo that is totally visible when she wears a bikini (at age 58!), so a better question in my case is “what would your GREAT-grandmother do?”

she would say, i think, that the only words that belong on underpants are the days of the week. and then she would say something about white shoes and memorial day and something about leaving the house without putting your face on. then she’d make herself another gin and tonic (hold the tonic) and then go cheat some more at pinochle.

(also: those panties in the photo are TOTALLY CUTE and i would like a pair in every color, please.)

• Margaret

April 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I love your mother.

That is all.

• rockle

April 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

my mom IS pretty awesome. questionable as a role model — i mean, this IS the woman who fed my kid nothing but mashed sweet potatoes and fudge on her first easter — but definitely hella fun, once you’re in your 30s and you’ve accepted that you’re going to turn into her one day, and probably you could do a lot worse.