Casey Anthony Verdict | A Mom’s Evidence

As I’m sure you’ve heard by now, Casey Anthony has been found not guilty on murder, manslaughter and child abuse charges of her two-year-old daughter, Caylee.

I loaded the dishwasher this afternoon as I watched the verdict being read. And then, I felt physically ill as the tears stung the corners of my eyes. My only thought was, “No one is going to have to be responsible for this child’s death. NO ONE.”

You see, when you’re a mom there’s a gene that kicks in when you hear stories like this. It’s unofficially called the, “I will protect my child no matter what” gene. (That’s the generic medical term.) That’s why I have such a hard time reconciling Casey Anthony’s actions during her daughter’s disappearance and death.

Last year, my daughter was also two years old. She had a febrile seizure and stopped breathing. I had to give her rescue breaths as she was lying blue on my kitchen floor. It was the worst experience of my life and even though it was an illness that made her stop breathing, I’m still racked with guilt over it almost daily.

So, how do you not see your two-year-old daughter for 31 days and not feel guilty about it? If Casey Anthony had nothing to do with her daughter’s death, then why did she make up the existence of a nanny? Why did she lie to police about having a job? Why was her car impounded with several people reporting a “smell of death” coming from it?

These are all questions that bounce around in my mind as the images of the angelic face of little Caylee Anthony keeps repeating like a slide show inside my head.

I’m not saying that our justice system doesn’t work. I wasn’t a jury member and I didn’t listen to the case or see all the evidence. But I can tell you that if my daughter came up missing for just one hour–even a fraction of an hour–then  I would be on the phone to the police. Not reporting your daughter missing for 31 days and partying in bars the whole time is unconscionable.

No, I don’t know the court evidence, but I do know this: no real mother would react the way Casey Anthony did with her child missing…and that’s all the evidence that I need.

Note: If you want to read an interesting timeline of the events and make your own judgement, visit AboveTopSecret.com.

[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://primeparentsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/WritRamsSockMonkeyHat.jpg

[/author_image] [author_info]About the Author

Jacqueline Wilson is a prime parent who is a wife, mother, published author and freelance writer. She writes here, on Prime Parents’ Club, and on her observational parenting humor blog, WritRams.com: Writer Ramblings on Parenting Imperfectly. Follow her on Twitter as @WritRams or on Facebook.[/author_info]

[/author]

1. Catherine

July 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm

My coworkers and I were in disbelief yesterday after the verdict was announced, and I am still at a loss for words. As a mother, I cannot imagine ever wanting to hurt my child, and if I had been in her situation, I wouldn’t have been able to function, let alone going out partying. And, that has nothing to do with how I was raised. It has to do with my feelings as a mother.

2. Margaret Barney

July 6, 2011 at 6:52 am

I can’t for the life of me understand Casey Anthony’s behavior. The whole thing is so disturbing. I have no words.

3. TVTalkTina

July 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm

This has been my new reality tv. I have literally ignored my children for 40 days watching play by play of this case. I made sure to educate myself and learn EVERY aspect and play by play of this case. When my husband argues with me I scream I OBJECT instead of arguing back…..I think you get it. To me, you are 100% correct. I am VERY disturbed and saddened by this outcome. I believe the reasonable doubt is what caused the not guilty verdict. But I too was sad. Now what? What happens to this girl? Her defense teamed has accused her family of sexual abuse, accused her father of “getting rid” of her babies remains, and has exposed ALL of her families dirty laundry. What does she do now? (by the public she’s known as a liar and a baby murderer). Where does she go now? Well if her past behavior shows anying I could only guess you can find her in any local “club” by Saturday. All I can hope is Karma will get her someday. She keeps being compared to OJ….got away with murder, look where he is now…KARMA?

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm

It’s funny that you mentioned “what does she do now”, Tina. I thought the exact same thing. How does this family move forward with everything brought to light–true or not?

4. Nicole

July 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I am a mother too. I can’t understand how a mother can kill a child and have never been able to accept that Casey is guilty of murdering Caylee. call me naive.

She is a liar and a thief. She used horrible judgment. She is a terribly sick and disturbed person. But none of this makes her a murderer.

Take a look at her family – they are the root. What mother (Cindy-a nurse) doesn’t acknowledge her obviously pregnant daughter at 7 months?? – I saw the pic and Casey was pregnant! What terror Casey must have felt to hide her pregnancy – i think she lived in a crazy disfunctional house.

Just becausee a person doesn’t act the way you would doesn’t define guilt. I wouldn’t behave in such a way either. I don’t know how she could have run around for a month either – having a grand ole time. Bottom line-There wasn’t enough evidence and that is why she was acquitted.

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for commenting, Nicole. I’m always interested to hear what others think about these kinds of situations, too.

I totally agree with you on the family dysfuntion. There is something really deep and (more than) strange going on in that entire family this is the root of all of this. I’m guessing it goes beyond anything we will ever hear or understand.

• Cari

July 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

Unfortunately there are mothers who murder their children–Susan Smith and a long line of others. The verdict may have been right “legally” (proof beyond a shadow of a doubt), but a not guilty verdict doesn’t make Casey Anthony innocent. Moms do murder.