Harry Potter Finale | Why I Don’t Care

I’ve never read any of the Harry Potter books, nor have I ever seen any of the movies.

Not one line from the books or a whisper from the movies.

Nothing.

In case you’ve been, um, dead, you might not know that the final Harry Potter movie starts tonight at midnight in the United States. As the (supposed) last movie out of eight in the series (EIGHT, people!), many are equally sad and excited.

Me? I really don’t care.

When I owned a bookstore, I hosted an entire Harry Potter party for kids and knew nothing about it. I had to do some quick internet research to provide proper giveaways and costumes.

Seriously.

I’m not sure when it started, my whole loathing of doing/reading/watching what everyone else is, but here I am. I don’t watch Glee. I’ve never seen/read Twilight. I couldn’t name the last American Idol winner if you paid me a million dollars.

It’s not that I don’t like popular things (I have an unnatural addiction to some pretty bad reality television) and I could watch the movie Twister every time it’s on television, but I’m generally not attracted to the things that everyone is talking about. Call it stubbornness, call it ego, or label it however you see fit, but I just don’t want to be like everyone else. I’m mean, what fun is that?

So, while thousands of people will be standing in line for midnight showings of Harry Potter all over the U.S. tonight, I will be tucked safely at home writing or painting my toenails or watching reruns of Pawn Stars. Or, maybe I’ll get lucky and catch Coal Miner’s Daughter playing tonight. (What do you mean you’ve never seen it?!?)

In 10 or 20 years, when the Potter fuss has died down, I might watch the movies, or maybe I’ll even pick up the books.

But I doubt it.

Are you a Potterphile (or addicted to any of the other “popular” series/movies/books out there)?

[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://primeparentsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/WritRamsSockMonkeyHat.jpg

[/author_image] [author_info]About the Author

Jacqueline Wilson is a prime parent who is a wife, mother, published author and freelance writer. She writes here, on Prime Parents’ Club, and on her observational parenting humor blog, WritRams.com: Writer Ramblings on Parenting Imperfectly. Follow her on Twitter as @WritRams or on Facebook.[/author_info]

[/author]

1. Susan

July 17, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Gee, Jackie, what DOES interest you??

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

See above for classic fun suckage explanation. :)

2. The HUSBAND

July 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Yes, it’s true! AS the HUSBAND, and father (who has seen every one of these Harry Potter movies, religiously with the oldest daughter) I am simply embarrassed by the anti-kidness expressed by the author. Shame, shame, shame… I’ll bet you’ve never seen The Sound of Music either… Just wrong! LOVE you anyway Dear ;-)

3. Christin

July 16, 2011 at 8:27 am

I TOTALLY agree with this post. I tend to push against whatever is the most “popular” trend too. Specifically all of the books and things you mentioned in this post. I don’t have a specific reason for this behavior…let’s just call it “instinct”! I notice that my children seem to be the same way…with the exception of HARRY POTTER! LOL

4. Margaret

July 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Jackie–I’m giggling because Twister is the first movie I ever saw in a theatre all by myself. Cheesy? Yes. Fun? Yes. And I felt all empowered going to the flicks all by myself.

My mom worked at Borders back in the day, in the Children’s section. She got us going on the HP books. I read three of them, and I think started #4, but never finished. I *do* love Rowling’s writing. I enjoyed what I’ve read of the books, and may actually get myself back into reading them, but I totally get where you’re coming from.

I’m not an American Idol fan, either. Survivor? Uh-uh (I do cop, however, to an unnatural addiction to Big Brother…) Twilight? Nope. There are various reasons why I’m not interested in them (I haven’t laid eyes on the Fox network in years…on purpose), but primarily? I’m just not interested.

If it doesn’t trip your trigger, then it just…doesn’t. Frankly, I think you’re brave to own up to it!

5. Marybeth Levine

July 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Ummmm, the first time you quoted Rebecca Black lyrics on Twitter you lost the standing to say you don’t follow what’s “popular”. Let’s see, RB, Pawn Stars, perhaps it’s an issue with TASTE rather than stubborn individuality…

6. Anja

July 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Yes on Winnie the Pooh! Love him with all my heart and so does my three year old!

7. Jacqueline Wilson

July 15, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I will see Winnie the Pooh, though…in full disclosure…

• Liz

July 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Let me know how that is, it got really good reviews. :)

8. Anja

July 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I’m with Jackie on this one – because EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG made such a fuss about it, I got never interested in Potter. And for the 450 million people who can’t be all wrong: poop is yummy. 10 million flies can’t be wrong either. That’s something my 7th grade literature teacher told me. Just saying…

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm

HAHAHA at “poop is yummy. 10 million flies can’t be wrong either” CLASSIC.

9. Jennifer Harris Dault

July 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I adore Harry Potter — both as an English major and a seminarian. The Harry Potter series is incredibly well-written and it is simply a beautiful story. After watching the new movie this morning (yep, we went to the midnight showing), I turned to A and said “an entire theater just watched the gospel story and didn’t know it.”

Please don’t ignore Potter just because it is popular. This is one example of society getting something right.

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 15, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I’m just uninterested. :)

• Susan

July 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Gee…what DOES excite you? I bet you’re a ton of fun to be around…

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

:o|

BWHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

(I pretty much do suck at all things “fun”…)

10. rockle

July 15, 2011 at 6:41 am

jackie – the fun in doing what everybody else is doing is that you can enjoy these things with everybody else. “water cooler talk.” you don’t necessarily need to bow to peer pressure, but the 450 million people who have bought a harry potter book can’t all be wrong.

and anyway, you’re interested in popular things — you wouldn’t be able to watch “pawn stars” at all if it weren’t popular with SOMEONE, because it wouldn’t be on TV. and i KNOW you’re into the biebs. so you kind of undermine your own argument. ;-)

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 15, 2011 at 7:07 am

When was the last time you watched Pawn Stars?

• rockle

July 15, 2011 at 8:27 am

can’t give you a date, but i have watched at least one full episode. not my preferred brand of reality television – i am more of a competitive reality girl, like “the amazing race” or “survivor” when boston rob is not on – but i can see why people like it. i think of it as sort of an alternate universe’s “antiques roadshow.”

and hey: i own “twister” on DVD. i am not judging, just trying to understand.

• rockle

July 15, 2011 at 8:28 am

you’re right, though, you enable Crystal’s Bieber problem – sometimes i get confused who the real fan is.

11. DadandBuried

July 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Please, my kid’s 10 months old. What’s the point of reading to him?

We only even let him out of his cage at meal time. Some days I forget he’s even there!

• Liz

July 15, 2011 at 6:15 pm

LMAO!

• Margaret

July 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Clearly you’ve not read them. Otherwise the boy would be in a cage under the stairs…

• Prime Parents' Club

July 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Maybe he is in a cage under the stairs already?!? :oO

• Margaret

July 15, 2011 at 7:09 pm

you make a good point, Jackie…

12. DadandBuried

July 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I don’t care about Harry Potter because while I loved books written for kids when I was a kid, I’m NOT A KID ANYMORE and I read books for adults.

I don’t care about Twilight because it’s trash. At least Potter
    is well-written. From what I’m told.

And are we really using “Twister” as the paradigm for popularity? Dunno about that!

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm

This coming from the man who will probably spend his weekend reading “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.”

(PS–What was the indication that my popularity reference was skewed? Perhaps when I listed COAL MINER’S DAUGHTER?!?)

• rockle

July 15, 2011 at 6:35 am

i’ve read every single harry potter book twice. i can make a pretty strenuous argument that, while these books are about children, they are not necessarily FOR children – not entirely, anyway, and definitely not beyond the 4th book, “goblet of fire,” when death starts getting involved.

i’m not a kid any more, either, but i do read a lot of YA fiction, because a lot of “adult” fiction is so self-important and BORING. jonthan franzen is a hack and his books are BORING. the best books i’ve read in the past two years, no exceptions, were “the hunger games” series and “blood red road,” and they’re all YA books.

“twilight” is terrible and indefensible. i read the first book to see what the fuss was about, and threw it across the room when i was finished. have not seen a single one of the movies because robert pattinson will always be cedric diggory to me, and i don’t want anything to ruin it.

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 15, 2011 at 7:05 am

Sensitive about Potter much, Rachel?

I didn’t say they weren’t popular. I said they weren’t popular WITH ME.

And, I can’t name a Bieber song. (You have me confused with fellow contributor Crystal. Let’s go make fun of her. HEH.)

• rockle

July 15, 2011 at 8:24 am

i thought i was replying to DadandBuried – but yes, i am sensitive about this topic, primarily because i think anything that gets 450 million people to read is a good thing. ESPECIALLY when it’s kids who are reading, because reading tends to be a non-preferred activity for so many kids when there are so many other options out there. anything that gets butts in the seats (so to speak) is ok by me in this instance.

the thing i don’t understand – i am NOT saying it’s wrong, but i just don’t understand it – is why you WOULDN’T want to check out what everybody else is into. nobody is saying you HAVE to like it (see above re: me and “twilight”), but aren’t you just a little bit curious? this whole pottermania phenomenon has been going on for 15 years – you really haven’t felt any desire to see what all the fuss is about (again, see above re: me and “twilight”)?

i can’t think of how else to explain it, but it’s like “star wars” or “star trek” – even if it’s not your cup of tea, hasn’t everybody seen at least one movie or one episode of the show?

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’m not curious. Not even a little. I’m not saying they aren’t fantastic or that the books aren’t great. I’m just saying…I’m not interested.

• DadandBuried

July 15, 2011 at 10:24 pm

As for YA being the best fiction you’ve read, and adult fiction being “self-important and BORING,” well, you’re clearly reading the wrong books. Just as there are better YA books, and worse (Twilight), there are varying , levels of quality within every genre, and for every audience.

As for the “I’m just glad kids are reading” argument, I don’t disagree. But where do we draw the line? I’d prefer my kid read Twilight than watch Jersey Shore, but they’re basically equivalent and I’d actually prefer my kid do neither. In fact, I’d probably prefer my kid watch quality TV than read trash fiction. No medium is inherently better than another, there is crap and cream within everything.

To be fair, I don’t doubt the Potters are good books. I “read” the first two – by which I mean I skimmed them, as they are not very sophisticated. I understand the writing and the content progress and mature along with the characters, which is cool, but I just have less interest in spending time with well-written YA books than I do with well-written books meant for older audiences. Not a knock against the Potters – I’ve seen all the movies – less time consuming! – and I like fantasy and etc. I have no problem with the content, but when it comes to books, would rather devote my time to something a bit more substantive.

My comment about them being aimed at kids, while partially true, was mostly meant as a joke. It always pisses the Potter fans off. ;)

• Margaret

July 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Hunger Games…those books were great! Though I found #3 to pale somewhat when compared to the first & second.

• rockle

July 15, 2011 at 8:51 pm

agreed. i thought “mockingjay” was an unsatisfying conclusion to the trilogy.

13. Liz

July 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm

HERESY!!! lol. I enjoyed the books and then started watching the movies when they came out too. Summer of ’07 was particularly weird because I was finishing up the last book and movie #5 (of 8) was in theaters.

• Jacqueline Wilson

July 14, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Don’t be bitter, Liz. There, there…

• Liz

July 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Lol. I find it ironic that this article is right underneath my Harry potter review on the main page too … :P.