Christmas Decorating Ideas | DIY Glitter Ornaments Craft

Get clear ornaments for crafts (AFFILIATE)
I guess it’s my love of the shiny, pretty colors in glitter these days, but I can’t seem to get enough of this craft. Clear glass ornaments
are easy to find at dollar stores or craft stores. Glitter is where you’ll feel the wallet pinch, and I have to say, as a warning, get the best fine glitter you can find. It’s really worth it to splurge for the super fine kind. Trust me. The cheap-o glitter clumps and looks awful in this showcase ornament.

This craft is easy for anyone, the colors can be mixed to matched any decor, and small hands love to help. We made a set for some super awesome grandparents, but you could also give a gift set to a set of newlyweds or even a recent college graduate who might be setting up a first tree.

I do not know what it is about Mop & Glo, but I’m telling you this is the brand you need. It is difficult to pour, which is why I suggest the funnel. Good news is, it also really makes a floor shiny, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Toss a bunch of these sparkly gems into bowl and watch them glitter.

How to Make Christmas Ornaments

Homemade Glitter Ornaments Craft

ALSO ON PRIME PARENTS CLUB: How to Wrap Presents Perfectly

DIY Souvenir Ornament Craft

affiliate links are used in this post

I'm a Pittsburgh transplant in Tulsa, OK, where I live with my husband of 17 years and our 3 wild things. They are 14, 12 and 8. I keep my feet, fingers and head busy running, crafting and writing. My first book, "Run With Me: An Accidental Runner and the Power of Poo," is available on amazon and b&n.

1. Tracy @ Hall of Fame Moms

December 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

Those are beautiful! Who’da thunk- “mop and glo”?

• Jen

December 20, 2011 at 10:53 am

Thank you! I think they are stellar! Love glitter. Love Christmas balls. And the easiest craft in the world.

2. Holly

December 12, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I want to use this idea as my craft at a cheer party I’m hosting this weekend for my daughters cheer team. Their colors are blue and purple, which looks like the exact colors in the picture, but I see you said Peacock and graphite. Can you tell me if this turned out looking real blue and purple, or should I go with a purple instead?
    Also, any suggestions if I want them to be able to write their name on the outside? What would be the best (and easiest) thing to use (girls ages are 9-13 yrs old).
    Thanks!

• Jen

December 13, 2011 at 8:21 am

Hi, Holly. It turned out looking like blue and dark silver. I’d suggest visiting a craft store and comparing colors. With glitter, the colors will stay pretty true, even when swirled together. You might even try a deep purple and a very light silver?

For the outside, a paint pen of good quality would work well. I’d say in white, for the best impact. Stickers don’t work great, because they are flat; when adhered to the sphere, they buckle.

The final tip I have for that age group is to be patient, let them play, and keep the container the ornaments come in. Like decorating Easter Eggs, you can use it to hold the bulbs while they dry.

3. Elizabeth

December 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I’ve done similar with plain old acrylic craft paints, the kind in the small bottles at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. You just squeeze a small amount in of each color for a swirl effect and turn the ornament around until it is coated.

The glitter idea is super cool though.

• jennifer

December 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yes, Our kids have done that in school. I love those because they made them. And, I am just a sucker for shiny glitter.

4. Elaine Sever

December 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I’ve seen this on other sites using another floor polish. Have you ever used something other than Mop and Glo?

• Jen

December 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm

No. But what I think is that there’s an acrylic component that makes it stick. And, I discovered that I really like Mop n Glo on my tile floors!

5. Jackie (WritRams)

December 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

PPS–do you remember what mix of glitter you used? I love that purply-blue thing you have going on in yours.

• Jen

December 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

I bought Recollections extra fine glitter in peacock and graphite. We made some of each and mixed the colors in others.

• Jen

December 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

From Michael’s.

6. Jen

December 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hey, Jackie. This might be my all time favorite Christmas craft, because they really are perfect for little or big hands and they look so pretty no matter what happens. I got all the supplies out hoping to do it myself and my kids totally took over. Stickers or paint pens on the outside would make a great monogrammed or mark the year gift.

• Jackie (WritRams)

December 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’m wondering if it would work as well on those plastic clear ornaments?

• Jen

December 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

I don’t know. I’m turned off by the plastic, though I do see the practicality with small children.

• Prime Parents' Club

December 7, 2011 at 9:57 am

Yeah, plastic is not my favorite, but I have destructo child…

7. Jackie (WritRams)

December 7, 2011 at 9:18 am

WOW. Those are so awesome. Now THIS is my kinda craft. Wacky and messy!

I love the idea of making these and giving them as gifts–maybe adding a name or date to the outside.

Keep the great crafts coming. Love them!