We recently had a pirate princess Hello Kitty birthday party for our four year old. As you can imagine, there aren’t a lot of party things out there to meet this request. Pirate things are either uber-princessy, or scary pirate things not appropriate for a four year old. I had to blend a bunch of different pirate-related stuff to come up with just the right party–including making our own Hello Kitty pirate princess cake.
One of the things I decided early on was to make the food all pirate-related somehow. One of the biggest hits at our party were the “Pirate Cannonballs”–or brownie bites. They were so easy, but everyone was asking for the “recipe.”
1 box of fudge brownie mix (+ ingredients to make the brownies)
1/4-1/2 cup of vanilla icing
2 12-ounce bags of Wilton Light Cocoa Candy Melts
Note: Stick to the brand on the candy melts. I have had several people from the party make this and none of them used Wilton’s brand. Also, none of them said the bites were as good as the party bites.
1. Bake the brownies according to the package directions. Let cool completely.
2. Scoop the baked brownies into a large bowl.
3. Add 1/4 cup of vanilla icing and stir. (I actually use my hands to squish everything around.) If the brownies are too dry, add more vanilla icing until you get the consistency where you can shape the brownie mixture into balls.
4. Shape the brownie mixture into balls and set aside.
5. Melt the two packages of Wilton’s chocolate candy melts over low heat. Stir until completely melted and keep on stove over low.
8. Repeat steps 6-7 until all of the brownie bites are covered.
Once set, you will be able to pack them to take with you or place on a platter. (Don’t forget to save some for yourself because they are super yummy.)