Ah yes … asparagus season.
I love asparagus. I know it’s one of those on-the-fence or love-it-or-hate-it veggies for some, but we adore it in our house. So, we think asparagus season rocks.
A few years ago, I was looking to do something different with asparagus (we usually just steam it and have it with a little sea salt), so I whipped this up and it became a family favorite. It’s one of those dishes that’s perfect to eat alone, accompany a meal or take to a pitch-in.
Easy Asparagus Salad
2 “bunches” asparagus, cut and steamed
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
2 tablespoons grated parmesan, or 1/4 C shaved parmesan
1/3 cup toasted pecans, walnuts or pine nuts
1. Rinse asparagus and bend each stalk until it breaks. Discard the bottom tough ends (or save for a soup purée). Cut the remaining tender tops into 1-inch diagonals.
2. Steam the asparagus pieces for 7 minutes, or until just tender. Remove from steam immediately and place in a bowl.
3. Mix olive oil and Balsamic vinegar. Pour half over asparagus and toss. Add the rest of the dressing mixture if needed, or to taste. (We like ours with a little more dressing.)
4. Toast nuts in oven just until brown. (You can also do this on the stove top with a little butter in a pan.)
5. Top asparagus with cheese and toasted nuts. Toss just before serving.