Jason Biggs’ Tweets Bigger Than Nickelodeon Affiliation for Me

© Featureflash | Dreamstime.com, Jason Biggs and Jenny Mollen at People’s Choice Awards, 2007

In case you haven’t heard, actor Jason Biggs is in hot water for some tweets made by him (and his wife.)

Biggs, best known for his role in the teen sex comedy franchise American Pie, recently received a role as the voice of Leo in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickelodeon … which is where most people are having an issue.

You see, Biggs posted some rude and lewd comments about the wives of presidential candidate Mitt Romney and vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan. (I won’t post the string of obnoxious tweets here, but you can see them in a really well-written post over on The Beehive Blog.)

Apparently, Nickelodeon linked Biggs’ Twitter auto feed into their account and then all hell broke loose about how Nick shouldn’t be doing business with Biggs.

Nickelodeon did release the following statement:

The offensive comments made by Jason Biggs last week on his personal twitter account do not reflect our company’s views or values, and we condemn them. Nickelodeon does not support or condone the use of graphic or vulgar language on any of our platforms.

It was our mistake to link from our Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles twitter feed to Jason’s personal twitter account, and we quickly corrected our error.  We also insisted Jason use better judgment and discretion in public communications while affiliated with our brand.

My Issue Isn’t With Nickelodeon

But that’s not my issue; my issue is bigger than Nick. As a mom who has a four year old, we watch a great deal of those kids’ channels. I don’t think it’s great that Nick has continued their association with Biggs; however, there seems to be a bigger problem that everyone is overlooking: Why are we allowing men (or anyone) to continue to demean women like this? Why is it ok for Biggs to broadcast what he wants to do to the anal cavity of another man’s wife? And even worse? Why is this hardly getting any news attention? (An excellent point from Queen Bee Kimberly on The Beehive Blog.)

Here’s why: We’ve become so calloused as a society that we don’t even bat an eye at these kinds of  comments about women. These seemingly innocent comments made publicly as a joke trickle down and give men (and other women) permission to demean women … and our daughters.

And Then There’s Biggs’ Wife…

When the proverbial “s” hit the fan, Jason Biggs deleted his tweets (but we all know by now that things on the Internet live forever). However, it seems that Biggs wife, actress Jenny Mollen, is also known for demeaning tweets. In March, she wrote this disgusting tidbit on her Twitter account:

[edited on here, not on her tweet]

“My husband is nominated for a Teen Choice award which means tons of eighth grade p*ssy ;) Please make sure your kids vote!!!”

So, not only is she making pedophilia-like comments about my eighth grader (if I had one), but now she wants me to go support her and her husband? WHO DOES THIS?!?

Wake Up Parents

If you think these “are no big deal” or “innocent” or “joking” comments, you’re delusional about what this is doing to the female society. This is giving people permission to say things like this to your mom, or wife, or sister, or daughter.

ALSO ON PRIME PARENTS CLUB : When Reality TV Is Too Real | MTV Creates, Then Cancels, Losing Virginity Show (Thankfully)

And, if Biggs and Mollen ever have daughters, God help them. We’ll see how funny they think those kinds of comments are when they’re directed toward their own kids.

Oh? Neither Biggs nor Mollen have shown remorse for any of their tweets. I think that’s the most telling of all.

1. Liz

September 11, 2012 at 7:53 am

Interesting article. I think Nickelodeon should have known better than to link to him in the first place, though …. see what rockle said.

2. Katrina Moody

September 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I think you nailed the larger issue here – it’s beyond the scope of what Nickelodeon should or should not have done in response to it, but the fact that it was done in the first place.

Great post … I only wish I had a solution to offer (though I like the idea of sending my kids to school in the Alps, where there is no TV and no internet … where’s the link for that one?) LOL

3. Kimberly from The Beehive Blog

September 7, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Jackie – GREAT post (and thanks for the link back, although I wish it was over something cool like a purple couch – sigh). I totally agree with you – this is not political and is completely about Misogyny. Women can be called any number of names and there is a complete pass – the good old nod wink boys network but now it is not just “boys” – women are doing it about other women too or worse, Mollen is doing it about our daughters. WHO ARE WE? WHO do we want to be? And what example do we want to set for our children? Social Media is here to stay so does the ease of a tweet remove the filter of decency???
    Thanks again for posting about this – you rock! And if there is a solution – COUNT ME IN.

4. Crystal

September 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I think Nickelodeon did what they needed to do by disconnecting his Twitter feed from their page. I find what he said reprehensible, but I don’t think he needs to be fired for it.

I agree with you completely on the bigger problem with this story. The issue here is not what Nickelodeon did or will do, it’s what Biggs said. Why is this ok? Would Biggs want his wife, mother, sister, or daughter spoken of in this fashion? We all say we want tolerance, but that means that we too have to tolerate those with whom we disagree.

Disgusting and sad.

• rockle

September 7, 2012 at 4:30 pm

well, this is a guys whose entire “career” is basically based on his willingness to stick his junk in a pie, so i definitely wouldn’t look to him to be the very model of decorum, or anything.

still: i’ve seen reality shows on cable, and it appears a lot of people DO speak to their wives and their mothers this way. which is largely why i don’t regularly watch a lot of reality shows on cable.

(this is why i’m sending my daughter to a convent school in the alps with no internet or television and lifetime vows of silence.)

5. Margaret

September 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I, too, am just so tired of misogyny being given a wink and a nod, and that it is so unremarkable as to not really get any attention from the media.

I don’t care what a celebrity’s political leanings are, but to publicly demean candidates’ wives that way? It’s disgusting, it’s not OK, and I wonder if he doesn’t already have a contractual obligation to be not so crass (if he didn’t, he sure will in the future).

• Crystal

September 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

You said everything I am thinking, Margaret.