Homeschool Exhaustion | Is Homeschooling Too Much for Me?

We have begun our third year of homeschooling–me and my boys.

Well, my husband helps some, too, but the bulk of this burden lies on me. After all, it was “my” decision mainly. He may not care one way or the other; however, it was my heart and mind that went through the changing process that brought me to start homeschooling our oldest. If my heart and mind hadn’t changed I wouldn’t this thing called homeschooling.

Now don’t get me wrong. I love  homeschooling, but it isn’t exactly a piece of cake. Oh sometimes it seems pretty easy. But, I guess the hardest part is really being with my kids all day. Everyday. Grocery store. Post Office. Anywhere and everywhere.

ALSO ON PRIME PARENTS CLUB: Homeschooling | Making a United States Geography Study Unit on a Budget

It wouldn’t be so hard if my boys (that’s all I have, just two of them) would not feel the need to be goofing off so much. I mean, how hard is it to stand still at the cart while mom is concentrating on such hard decisions like, you know, which brand of resusable plastic containers is the best buy. We’re talking almost $2.50 a set here, people! Couldn’t the boys just, you know stand still. Quietly?

No. They’re  doing stuff like flipping a shoe off their feet into the aisle and watching it slide across the floor. No lie. Happened this week. And at that point I was just glad to let them be boys as long as they were doing it quietly and not hurting anyone or anything.

And yeah, we did a little school today, but took most of the day off. We can do that since I’m the parent, teacher, and principle you know. Afterall, we don’t take “snow days” and we probably work through many school holidays as I don’t feel the need to take a week off here and there. We take a day off here or there when I, the parent-teacher-principal decides to take it off.

And yes, there are those days when the thought of a school building equipped with our very own tax-dollar-paid teachers (even though we don’t have kids in those schools) slips into my mind as a tempting course of action:  I could send them to “school” and have the day to myself!

But…

Nah.

Homeschooling is what I feel God has called me to do and I will do it. Days like these, the days that are trying when I feel I have no time for myself, just remind me how much more training my boys need. It’s then that I realize I might need some of that training.

What about you? If you homeschool, do you ever have “those days” where you consider putting them in traditional schools?

Image David Castillo Dominici

In addition to homeschooling her boys, Tracy owns and writes from her blog Hall of Fame Moms sharing not only reviews on family-friendly products and places but also posts about homeschooling resources, frugal living, her faith and more. Like her boys', she enjoys wild things in nature. Catterpillars, bugs and tadpoles are welcomed guests in their home. Follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

1. Alma

December 4, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Wow. Your reply has brought me to tears. Something in me reacts when you say “….we’re the ones in need of being worked on.” That’s a scary thought. Because I know I need a lot of work. I sometimes.feel like I am failing her. I feel like there are these freakishly happy homeschool moms that seem to have it all together. And I soooo don’t. LOL I want so much for my daughter to excel and.do great things. But when she struggles, I struggle as well. I will most certainly follow your blog. My best friend who was my only homeschool buddy has now gone and sent her kids to charter school. I feel so alone in this. My husband supports me, but he has no idea what I’m going through. LOL

• Tracy @ hall of fame moms

December 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

You know, I hear from church friends over and over how God uses their children to show them things about themselves. Our kids are a reflection of ourselves and that. is. scary. There are things I just don’t like about myself because I know those things are not positive or just plain right and I don’t want my boys to be like me in those areas. It should motivate us to want to run to the Lord and to God’s Word and ask Him to change us, make us more like Christ. It’s His will and plan for our lives that matters anyways. We will give an account to Him for what we’ve done. Very sobering to take in. But He is so patient with us! Our heavenly Father, the greatest example of all :)

I’m praying for you, Alma. Pray for me too.

2. Tracy @ hall of fame moms

December 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I hear you, Alma. Your 7 yr old sounds like the way my now 8yr old used to be and may still be at times: frustrated when he doesn’t get “it” right or perfect.

Hopefully this will be a phase they mostly grow out of. I think what may help us is that I don’t grade or test formally. I don’t have to here in Ohio and I want my kids to “know and understand” the information in stead of just know how to get an answer right for a test. I don’t know if you grade/test.

I also am very flexible with my teaching materials. I use a lot of videos from the library too. We often repeat the same videos which I think helps with the idea that “repetition leads to learning” vs. trying to memorize facts the first time around.

I blog about how we homeschool if you’d like to take a peak sometime, over at my blog: http://www.halloffamemoms.com/category/homeschooling/

Hang in there and keep working on learning to have patience with your kids. My friend and I were talking one day saying we wonder if God has us homeschooling our kids because we’re the ones in need of being worked on :)

3. Alma

December 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Hi there! Thanks for your post. I feel so overwhelmed. I have a 7 year old in 2nd grade and a 2 year old as well. It is so hard homeschooling with the toddler. He makes is nearly impossible for me to focus. And complety impossible for her to focus. I also find that I het quite frustrated with my 7 hear old. When something is hard for her or she makes a mistake she has the worst attitude. She wines and pouts and takes so long to get it done. I am almost if not already out of patience for it. I really need to k.ow what I am supposed to do. Sometimes I just find that I am too frustrated and to pray about it.

4. Pamela Rose Williams

October 4, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hi Tracy, great to see your post over here. I remember a couple days feeling like I was going to fail at home schooling but when I thought about the alternative I remembered the reasons why we schooled at home. High school was the hardest but our kids were motivated to finish and very good students too. I found that the most important thing I could do to stay on track was to have a schedule and stick to it. We began the day after Labor Day and finished by Memorial day each year. I also required a certain number of hours per day to be dedicated to school work.

I continually struggled with meal planning — even as I do today with just the two of us now. I remember in the midst of a very busy church ministry and an active private school (and home school) I made up a two week menu and rotated it. Maybe this will work for you too.

Great post, you took me back to a time in my life that was crazy busy. The good news is that my home schoolers have long since graduated and are living productive lives now. All glory goes to God for that. Phil 4:13.

• Tracy

October 4, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thanks, Pam! It’s encouraging to hear from other parents who’ve been down the same road and have made things work- even had bad days too.

5. Christin

October 2, 2012 at 9:08 pm

We all have those days Tracy! I have had my children in a fabulous public school, then we moved and they attended a poor quality public school so we started home schooling the following year. That year was overall a good year and I really enjoyed the bonding between myself and my three girls. I also loved the relationships that they developed with each other during that year. The following year we moved to Europe and my girls attended an awesome International School. It was so hard for me to let my girls go and have the entire day to myself. Seriously, I was lost without them and missed them. I also saw their relationships shift into a more separate sibling relationship rather than the friendship they had developed during our year of homeschooling. We lived in Europe for three years and I am thrilled to be back in the USA! Like you, I felt that God was leading me to home school my girls again now that we returned to the States and like you, I was the primary decision maker so the full burden feels like it is on me even though my husband is super supportive. We are just getting started but I am really happy to have my girls back home again! Just keep praying and always know that no matter what choice you make, it needs to be what is best for YOUR family! Whether you continue to home school or if you do decide to send them to school, it’s all about finding what works for your family and where you feel God leading you!

• Tracy @ hall of fame moms

October 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for the comment, Christin. I’m sure God will give me all I need to accomplish all he’s led me to do and I’m sure that doesn’t guarantee an easy ride either. But, all is well. I’m not planning to send my kids back anytime soon… but there are days I think about that “other place”- lol.

• Franka

April 10, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hello, i just read these posts as i am seeking some honest dialogue with other homeschooling Mums … we are far away from home and after 6 years in the public schools in our area i am now going to homeschool my two children, 11 and 13. I liked what Tracey wrote, thats a bit how it feels for me too but i can also identify with what you shared Christin. May i ask which International School it was that your girls went to while in Europe? We may be going over to Europe as well for a while. I am just now starting the process of applying for homeschooling, will be using the ACE. What curriculum are you using? I hope i can find ways to have a morning off as i know how busy life can get and we all need time to regain some strength in order to be a blessing to our kids in homeschooling, at least thats what i think, and as we are adopting it will potentially get busier then what it is now. So i know there will be hurdles and my commitment will be tested. But God is faithful…and i trust he will help me each step of the way. Hopefully this post doesn’t come too late, as i realize your conversation took place in Oct. 2012 and hopefully your year has gone well so far. :-) I will be looking out for more posts in the future, thanks, cheers from down under!

• Prime Parents Club

April 11, 2013 at 11:54 am

Hi Franka,
        I just started homeschooling my 5 year old in January (we are in the U.S.). My biggest struggling came with scheduling. I spent a great deal of time planning and creating a very detailed and structured curriculum and when things happened that derailed it in the first week I was completely overwhelmed and felt like a failure. So, my advice to you is not to plan your first few weeks too tightly, things WILL get off track because both you and the kids are adjusting. Let the adjustment take place and plan light the first few weeks. ALSO don’t stress when things get off track. A “go with the flow” attitude is best.

Hope this helps. Come back here for some support if you need it! :) /jackie

• Tracy @ hall of fame moms

April 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Thanks for the comment, Franka, and in addition to what Jackie said I want to add that I change things over and over. This is our 3rd year at it and I’ve learned that things that work for us, might work for a short time and then I want or need to change it. Stay flexible, experiment with the scheduling, etc. This fall we are making a big change with regards to the method of homeschooling we will be using. This will be our biggest change and challenge yet I’m expecting :) . I’ll probably post about it over here at the PPC blog.

• Christin

April 11, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Hi Franka,

We lived in the Brussels Belgium area and our girls attended the International School of Brussels. Overall it was a very positive experience for our girls. We were particularly pleased with the upper level curriculum. My older girls had a fantastic experience with week long field trips to places like Florence Italy and Trier Germany! They also received music instruction as part of their curriculum and learned violin (oldest daughter) and viola (middle daughter). They only negative with them going to the International school was having to constantly counteract information within their curriculum that went against our beliefs and values. So I don’t miss that.

Now that we are back to homeschooling in the USA, I am very happy with that as well. We have found wonderful home school groups that plan field trips and activities that we do with each other. My girls use curriculum by Alpha Omega. My 15 y/o uses their on-line Monarch curriculum and also takes an Algebra 2 course with a local co-op of other homeschoolers. My other two daughters use Alpha Omega Life Pacs along with one course each at the co-op as well.

Hope this helps you, I wish you well on your move to Europe!

6. Wade

October 2, 2012 at 6:30 am

We don’t home school, but my wife stays at home with our one-year-old. There are many days when she feels overwhelmed by spending every single moment with him. I know she needs a break now and then but she will also tell you that she wouldn’t trade being a stay at home mom for anything. I try to remember that there are many seasons to life and just about the time we think we’ve “had enough” in a particular season, it fades into the next season and things are different. Hang in there, Tracy.

• Tracy @ hall of fame moms

October 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hanging in there everyday, Wade :) Thanks for the comment!