DIY Souvenir Ornament Craft Perfect for Any Time of Year
Ok, I need to admit something to you: We have a hoarder in our house. Namely? Our four year old daughter.
Wherever we go–vacations, nature walks, shopping, breakfast–she has to gather some mementos of the trip. She calls them her “collections.” Of course it sounds cute to you, but that’s because you don’t have a bazillion plastic bags, jars and boxes full of rocks, leaves, sand, shells, paper and more around your house.
When she gathered bags of stuff during our summer beach vacation this year, I decided I was finally going to do something with them. I bought some clear glass ornaments and we made keepsakes from the sand, shells and driftwood — and they turned out really cool!
The great thing about this craft is that you don’t have to do it just at the holidays. Buy the clear glass ornaments when you see them clearanced after the holidays and make them throughout the year from different collections. Then, when you’re ready to decorate your tree, you have a whole new set of ornaments that really mean something to the family!
Souvenir Ornament Craft
Clear Ornaments with Removable Tops
Paper (Color of Choice)–cut into 1/2-inch wide slips (if using your computer and printer, cut them into 1/2-inch slips after printing)
Pencil with Eraser
1. Print (from your computer printer) or write the name of the event and year on a slip of paper . On a separate slip, write the location or any other information you want to include.
2. Curl only the ends of the paper with scissors.
3. Gently remove the top of the ornament. Place (or pour) sand, crushed leaves, pieces of wood, rocks or whatever else you gathered into the ornament.
ALSO ON PRIME PARENTS CLUB : Glitter Ornaments Craft
4. Loosely roll the slips of paper and then place them, one at a time, into the ornament. Use the pencil (eraser side) to help unroll the paper and position the slip of paper inside the ornament.
5. Add the additional slips of paper and repeat #4 until they are all in.
6. Glue top of ornament back on using super glue.
7. Tie with ribbon and hang on tree.
Here’s the visual of the steps: