Super Hot Crock Pot Chili Recipe
I think my husband is insane. What is it that makes some men willingly want to punish themselves by eating things that are so hot that they can barely stand it? If the ability to eat fire hot chili and not break a sweat (or start crying) is a sign of extreme manliness, then my husband is the poster boy for Mr. Masculinity.
A few years ago we decided to have a Super Bowl party. My husband asked if I could make chili for the boys.
“And make it hot!” he challenged.
So, I made the chili and I added some hot peppers and a bunch of spices. The response I got from the men at the party was, “That was nice.”
NICE? Man, I couldn’t even eat one bite of this chili without downing a full glass of milk afterwards.
The following year I made it even hotter. I added some super hot salsa and doubled the peppers. Instead of just jalapeño peppers, I used some Habanero as well. This time, I saw a few men sweat. I could see that some were trying to enjoy it but secretly wishing that they hadn’t taken so much. (MUHAHAHAHAHA.) But there were some who requested that I make it even hotter. (Seriously.)
ALSO ON PRIME PARENTS CLUB: CROCK POT CORN CASSEROLE
Last year I think I hit the limit in how much hot you can add to chili and not cause anyone to spontaneously combust. I found an incredible chili oil from ChinaTown and I also added a small amount of something called Dave’s Insanity Spice. (By the way, I also made an alternative, low-spice chili for those wimpy types who were at the party.) Believe it or not, the super hot chili was real a hit! Some of the men had tears in their eyes and they all were sweating. However, no one asked for me to make it hotter the following year. (Finally!)
Here is the recipe I used, made in a crock pot, if you would like to
torture treat the partygoers at your Super Bowl Party with more than a little spice.
Super Hot Slow Cooker Chili
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 3 tbsp chili powder + 3 tbsp to use later
- 2 28-oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 large jar of extra spicy salsa
- 1 can kidney beans (washed and drained)
- 1 can black beans (washed and drained)
- 1 can corn (optional)
- 1.5 cup Bulls-Eye BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dave’s Insanity (or other super hot sauce)
- 3 tsp chili oil (I use cock brand, but I’m sure there are others.)
- 3 Habanero Peppers (diced)
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers (diced)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (This gives the chili a smokey taste)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
ALSO TRY: CHICKEN BLACK BEAN CHILI
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef. Drain as much fat as possible. Add 3 tbsp chili powder while frying.
- In a separate frying pan, sautee the onions and mushrooms.
- Place the beef, onions, mushrooms and the remaining ingredients in a large crockpot or stock pot.
- Cook for 6 hours on slow for crockpot, or 2 hours on low if using a stock pot on the stove.
Guest writer Marie Haynes and her husband David are Ottawa Real Estate agents.