A few years ago I started making sugared cranberries during the holidays. I first made them for a decorative garnish for a Christmas dish and I didn’t really think anyone would eat them with the dish. However, once my daughter tried them she was in love! They have that perfect combination of sweet with a burst of sour when you bite into the cranberry. So, now when I make them, I make extra for snacking. (You should probably do that, too!)
For this recipe, be sure that you have some drying racks. I use the wire cooling racks you use for cookies. They help dry the cranberries all the way around before you add the sugar to them. Other than that, you don’t really need anything special and they are very easy to make! (Plus, they’re beautiful on holiday dishes like cakes, cookies, brie and even holiday drinks!)
ALSO ON PRIME PARENTS CLUB: Easy Cranberry Orange Sauce
Be careful when you put them in the bag of sugar. Gently shake the bag or roll them back and forth in the bag so you don’t squish the cranberries!
How to Make Sugared Cranberries
- 1 package (12 ounce) fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add cranberries and stir until all cranberries are completely wet and coated.
- Transfer cranberries to [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00091PNTI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00091PNTI&linkCode=as2&tag=40moms-20&linkId=QHHO2OA3RQSVOBHI” target=”_blank”]wire drying racks[/url] using a slotted spoon. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining sugar to a resealable plastic bag. Working in batches, carefully spoon cranberries (a couple of spoonfuls at a time) into the bag. Seal the bag and gently shake the cranberries until they are completely covered with sugar. Transfer them back to the racks for drying. Repeat process until all cranberries are used.
Here’s one of the ways I use the sugared cranberries — on Cranberry Orange Cake! (So beautiful and yummy!)
affiliate links are used in this post