Chemical compounds containing nail polish can contribute to hormonal imbalance, hypothyroidism, increasing weight.
Almost every woman in the world wants to have beautiful and manicured nails. When we are on the subject of that, nail polishing is a detail that is inevitable.
But, did you know that nail polish contains numerous chemical components that are harmful to your body? And not only externally, but also can cause negative processes inside the body.
A recent study showed that most of the popular brands of nail polish is more harmful than previously thought.
Scientists tested 24 women who regularly have applied nail polish and in any of them are found toxins in the samples of blood.
The results showed that 100% of the survey participants showed the presence of triphenyl phosphate, ten hours after applying nail polish.
Then, the researchers tested 10 different brands of nail polish, and 8 of them was tested positive for triphenyl phosphate. The most shocking: the FACT that in 2 of the 8 brands, this dangerous compound was not even mentioned on the label explaining the ingredients of nail polish.
This means that nearly 20% of the population who use nail polish, also have an increased risk of taking triphenyl phosphate, without knowing!
What is triphenyl phosphate and how can affect your body?
Triphenyl phosphate – the colorless solid used as a plasticizer and a fire retardant in a wide variety of products. One of the main problems with triphenyl phosphate is that it disrupts the function of the endocrine system in humans. It can affect the hormones which regulate metabolism, reproduction, and development.
This is especially harmful to young girls who regularly use a nail polish that can affect their development and can cause eventual hormonal imbalance disorders like hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism. These disorders mean that there is a problem with the function of the thyroid gland that can lead to decreasing in metabolism and gaining weight in the case of hypothyroidism.
Triphenyl phosphate also can affect the nervous system, because is a neurotoxin and the reproductive system. This chemical compound can also because irritating the skin because is an allergen.
Non-toxic Nail Polish
There are lots of brands out there that say they are all-natural or non-toxic, and there is no chemical-free nail polish (that I could find – tell me if I’m wrong!) on the market, but there are three ingredients you are looking to avoid:
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
- Formaldehyde (yes, seriously. In your nail polish.)
These three have been linked to problems ranging from skin irritation in people to birth defects in animals.
Polishes that exclude all three of the above-listed chemicals:
- Piggy Paint, non-toxic, odorless, kid-friendly, kid-colored, water-based formula.
- Honeybee Gardens, an alternative to solvent-based nail polish, water-based, odorless, removes with rubbing alcohol.
- No-Miss does not contain the three-to-avoid above, and also does not contain camphor.
- Acquarella, water-based system of nail polish, conditioner, remover, and moisturizer.
- Suncoat, a water-based nail polish that has been recognized and honored by the Canadian Health Food Association Expo.
- Gaiam, Created by New York City’s first organic spa, our nontoxic nail polish is free of known carcinogens.
- Peacekeeper Cause-Metics, created by the Environmental Working Group as the safest paint-based natural nail polish.
- Sante created without the use of formaldehyde, toluene, and colophony rosin.
- Nubar, carcinogen-free nail care products.
- Safe Nail Polish, non-toxic, odorless, made in the USA.
- Priti, non-toxic, made without the evil-three and all known carcinogenic ingredients.
- Spa Ritual, vegan nail lacquers.
Other hazardous compounds containing nail polish
Formaldehyde is a well know carcinogen compound that is dissolved in water and is evaporable. Exposure to this chemical element can also cause symptoms such as asthma and wheezing. People who have chronic illnesses are especially vulnerable to poisoning with formaldehyde.
This chemical compound is particularly dangerous to children’s development. And not only young girls who use nail polish, but also the infants, because the scientists have isolated this element in the breast milk too.
Fortunately, there are some companies that have decided to create natural alternatives for making nail polish, which eliminate the risk of harmful consequences.
Organic cosmetics manufacturers use honey, argan oil, and water as ingredients, avoiding harmful chemicals. They already have created up to 50 color shades, which did not differ from the colors produced by harmful chemicals!