I am a firm believer in the health benefits of good food, in getting your vitamins from your diet, and in boosting your immune system naturally, without supplements. We are fortunate to have easy access to a variety of healthy food, and many of them are high in antioxidants, vitamins and antibacterial properties. I have combined a few of them to create an immune-boosting tea that tastes so good you will want it every day, not just when you feel like you are getting sick! With the help of this beverage I have fought off numerous colds that were showing ominous symptoms.
- Ginger has natural anti-inflammatory properties. When steamed and inhaled, it helps open up the nasal cavities so you can breathe better.
- Honey is naturally antibacterial, and also has antioxidant properties. When added to a drink, honey can help soothe sore throats and dry coughs.
- Cinnamon also has antibacterial properties, and has been used as a pain killer.
- Blueberries are high in vitamin C which is beneficial in fighting colds, and is high in antioxidants.
- Lemons are high in vitamin C.
If you feel as if you are coming down with a cold or flu, make your self a cup of this fruity tea, drink it up and get to bed!
- 1 inch of ginger root
- 1/2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen, or 1/4 c. dehydrated
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. honey
Directions for making tea
- Peel an inch of ginger root, and bring to a boil with one cup of water.
- Add blueberries.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain into a mug
- Add boiling water to ginger/blueberry juice to equal one mug full.
- Stir in lemon juice, cinnamon and honey
- Sit back and enjoy!
Ginger root and blueberries can be kept and reboiled once for a second batch of equally potent tea.